This morning, when the pain was a little less of a shock and the cold shiveriness had passed, I was better able to assess the situation. The night had not been good — there was no comfortable position to lie in, and so sleep came in fits and starts — but the situation seemed better… and worse.
On the plus side, I wasn’t as limited in the positions I could hold my foot in. I could lie with my legs outstretched and my foot falling forward naturally, and rest my leg to one side without too much pain. I could adjust my hips or even turn in bed without gasping from the shock of it. But where I could put weight on the foot last night and hobble forward a few paces, that was now impossible. There was a pain running up my shin that I hadn’t registered before. And the bruising was coming out, which always makes things look downright alarming.
My mother watched me crawl — and gasp — my way to the loo and asked, shouldn’t we maybe have that looked at…? Maybe it was broken? Mmmmm… she might be right
I rang the insurance company to find out what they covered and where we stood. Now that it’s not an emergency, the lady explained, they preferred that we see a doctor before going to hospital. Yes, the doctor my mum had recommended did participate in their plan. Yes, they would cover all the scans and tests he might feel were necessary. There would be a $40 copay — I knew that already and, even though that’s a significant sum to us at the moment, we could handle it. And, she continued, there was a deductible we had to cover before the insurance began covering the costs. It was… the lady on the phone paused, looking through the numbers on her screen… It was $2,000 — my heart skipped a beat — but… she looked at the numbers again… M’s company paid the first thousand.
Ok. Ohhhh-kaaay… Just at the moment, having to pay almost any part of that deductible would be difficult, but that little gem about M’s company might save the day. I looked at my ankle and began to tally: x-ray… MRI… What might the doctor order? How much do these things cost? I don’t have a clue — it might well all come in under a thousand or we could just as easily blow right past it. I really don’t know. But — oh! — that swelling just did not look good!
My mum rang the doctor to check if they had appointments available. The earliest was not for two days and, phone still to her ear, she raised her eyebrows to ask… Did I want to take it? I paused for a moment… wiggled my toes and winced. Yes. “Yes,” I said, looking back up to her. “Make the appointment.”
The ankle is painful but stable, my mum is here so I can rest (thank goodness for her!), and the two-day delay still allows us 48 hours to watch things and decide if the appointment is necessary.